Fort Marr (also called Fort Morrow) was built in 1814 as a supply depot for troops during Andrew Jackson’s campaigns against the Creek Indians. It was later abandoned, only to be regarrissoned in 1837 for troops managing the Cherokee removal. Troops stationed at Fort Marr were tasked with collecting Cherokees from their homes in the Cherokee Nation within Tennessee, and transporting them to internment camps at Fort Cass (present-day Charleston, Tennessee).
This blockhouse represents just one corner of the original fort, which was originally located about 15 miles south of its current site. Today this blockhouse is the only surviving remnant of the fort system used during Cherokee removal.
Photos Copyright Christina Berry, All Things Cherokee
Fort Marr Blockhouse Travel Details
The site is open year-round.
Directions: The Fort Marr Blockhouse is on Highway 411 just south of Benton, Tennessee.
GPS & Map: 35.16745870602945,-84.65970039367676