Joining the Nation - What is Required?
- Well, for starters, there are actually three federally-recognized, each with different enrollment requirements. This article explores the details of each.
Blood Quantum - Why It Matters, Why It Shouldn't
- "You're an Indian? What part?" This essay explores my personal thoughts on the use of blood quantum to determine tribal enrollment as well as its use in quantifying Indian authenticity.
I Know I'm Cherokee, But How Do I Prove It?
- It is one thing to know you are Cherokee, but it is quite another to "prove" it. This article helps guide you to the records that can help with that elusive proof.
Genealogy Vs. Genetics
- As technology improves, it becomes more and more possible to use genetic testing to understand your family's genealogy, but there are still some major limitations. This article explores the pros and cons of genetic testing.
The Cherokee Rolls
- There seems to be a lot of confusion about the Cherokee rolls. Why were they taken? Who was on them? What do they mean today? In this article I will try to clarify what the various rolls meant then, and what they mean now.
The Perspective of a Cherokee Events Timeline
- When tracing your Cherokee family line it is very important, and interesting, to look at the dates of your family line in the context of the dates of major events in Cherokee history.
The Myth of the Cherokee Princess
- These days it seems like everyone has a "Cherokee princess" in his or her family. But, in fact, there is no such thing as a Cherokee princess or an Indian princess. This essay explores the possible origins of this myth.
How to Use All Things Cherokee in Your Genealogy Search
- This web page is a great starting point for finding your Cherokee ancestors, and this article will help guide you through the different resources available to you on All Things Cherokee.
To Be Or Not To Be . . . Cherokee
- If there is any particular rule to keep in mind when researching your genealogy it is to be realistic, and to not eliminate possibilities before you have explored them.
Preparing for the Possible Outcome of Your Cherokee Genealogy Research
- Documenting a link to the Cherokee tribe is not always possible. Sadly, in some cases families may never be able to conclusively prove their Cherokee heritage. Are you prepared for that possible outcome?
The Surname Game
- I am frequently asked if this name or that is a Cherokee name. Well, because intermarriage was very common throughout Cherokee history almost any name could be a "Cherokee" name.
What Now? Helpful Contact Information for Your Search
- One of the most frequently asked question on this site, "Now what?" In this article I've tried to compile contact information for that next step of research.
All Things Cherokee has helped over 3,000 families with their Cherokee genealogy research. We offer three great services to help you find answers to your genealogy questions.
Cherokee Roll Report - this service is a great start for DIY researchers, with tons of Cherokee genealogy plus custom surname searches of all the Cherokee Rolls.
Tribal Enrollment Research - this service helps determine if you are eligible to enroll with one of the federally-recognized Cherokee tribes.
In-Depth Genealogy Research - this service is the most detailed, providing 6-hours of dedicated genealogy research into your family tree.
All Things Cherokee Gift Shop: Monthly Featured Title
Cherokee Roots: Eastern (Volume 1)
A great genealogy resource indexing those Cherokee living east of the Mississippi River.
Order Cherokee Roots: Eastern (Volume 1)