Featured Artist - Tonia Hogner-Weavel
Tonia Hogner-Weavel, Cherokee citizen, has been making Cherokee clothing for the past 20 years. Most of her sewing experience has been tear dresses, ribbon shirts and hunting jackets. In 2003 she created a double caped, embroidered deerskin coat and began to expand her skills to other types of textile mediums. This coat is on permanent exhibit at the Cherokee Casino, Catoosa, OK.
Living in Tahlequah, OK she has been the seamstress for the award winning Cherokee Youth Choir and costumer for a Cherokee play set in the late 1700's. She has also sewn for past Miss Cherokees and many Little Miss Cherokees.
"My goal is to create garments that reflect the dignity and respect of Cherokee people and to be as historically accurate as possible. I also enjoy blending the present with the past. My sons have had ribbon shirts with modern cartoon characters."
"Some of my techniques are using new products to save time and I do use them! I feel in my heart that Cherokee women of the past used the best of what they had and I, as a modern Cherokee woman, continue to do the same."
Tribal Affiliation: Cherokee Nation
Tonia Hogner-Weavel's Gallery
If you are interested in placing a commission order with Tonia Hogner Weavel, please complete the form below. We will contact you to work out the details.
Awards & Honors
- 2012 Cherokee National Treasure
- Third Place, Textiles, Cherokee Holiday Art Show 2008, Tahlequah, OK
- Judges Choice Award, Cherokee Homecoming Art Show 2008, Tahlequah, OK
- Judges Choice Award, Cherokee Holiday Art Show 2007, Tahlequah, OK
- Honorable Mention, Cherokee Homecoming Art Show 2007, Tahlequah, OK
- First Place, Textiles, Cherokee Holiday Art Show 2006, Tahlequah, OK
- Honorable Mention, Cherokee Homecoming Art Show 2006, Tahlequah, OK
- Honorable Mention, Cherokee Homecoming Art Show 2005, Tahlequah, OK
- Judges Choice Award, Cherokee Homecoming Art Show 2004, Tahlequah, OK
- Grand Award, Cherokee Homecoming Art Show 2003, Tahlequah, OK
- First Place, Textiles, Cherokee Homecoming Art Show 2002, Tahlequah, OK
All Things Cherokee has helped over 3,000 families with their Cherokee genealogy research. We offer three great services to help you find answers to your genealogy questions.
Cherokee Roll Report - this service is a great start for DIY researchers, with tons of Cherokee genealogy plus custom surname searches of all the Cherokee Rolls.
Tribal Enrollment Research - this service helps determine if you are eligible to enroll with one of the federally-recognized Cherokee tribes.
In-Depth Genealogy Research - this service is the most detailed, providing 6-hours of dedicated genealogy research into your family tree.
All Things Cherokee Gift Shop: Monthly Featured Title
Cherokee Roots: Eastern (Volume 1)
A great genealogy resource indexing those Cherokee living east of the Mississippi River.
Order Cherokee Roots: Eastern (Volume 1)